Thursday, January 16, 2014

25 Songs for Anniversary parties Renewing your vows

Natalie Wood, Rosalind Russell
Karl Malden in Gypsy;

Life is a banquet:
The name of both Russell's autobiography
and a very good video biography
that you can buy or rent
Songs for an anniversary party, vow renewal, etc. Celebrating couples who have been together for a while. Some are standards that you can find by a lot of artists.

Some of these are sweet and sentimental. Others are great because they give a picture of how tough it can be to stay together through the years.

There are benefits that come with working to keep a relationship going.  Some of these songs are just general relationship songs that would fit into the theme.

** Most are available on CD or to download as MP3, though links may be to one or the other. Again, be careful of titles. There may be different songs with the same title.

(Happy to be) Stuck With You Lyrics - Huey Lewis And The News
Forever and Ever Amen—Randy Travis 
Let's Stay Together - Al Green
Carl Reiner has a real cool cap
original 7x9 Photo

I've Grown Accustomed to Your Face 
This Old Town - Nanci Griffith
Still the One - Shania Twain
I Keep On Lovin’ You - Reba McEntire 
Anyhow I Love You - Guy Clark, Essential 
Could I Have This Dance for the Rest of My Life - Anne Murray
Love Song - Miranda Lambert
Dance With The One That Brought You - Shania Twain
You're My Home - Billy Joel
In My Life - The Beatles
What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
Back Home Again - John Denver
Marry Me Again - Tom Paxton from the CD Looking For The Moon
Cooky and Lila - Dr. Hook
When I Said I Do—Clint Black
Think of Me - Rosi Golan
NaCl Sodium Chloride - McGarrigle Sisters
Remember When - Alan Jackson
The Way You Look Tonight
I'm Yours - The Script 
The Idea of Growing Old - The Features
The Party's Still Going On - Marcia Ball

A friend suggested using one of the songs for that point in a wedding when the DJ has all the married couples come out on the dance floor to see which couple has been married the longest. "If you've been married fewer than five years, leave the dance floor. ... Now if you've been married fewer than ten years..." And so on. 

What songs would you add to the lists?

 
Denzel Washington Training Day
 Signed 8X10 Photo Certif. of Authenticity
Avail w/o signature
Anyhow I Love You -- This One's For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark (Lyle Lovett  sings the song on the tribute CD)
Excerpt from song:

I wish I had a dime for every bad time
but the bad times always seem to keep the change
You been all alone so you know what I'm sayin'
so when all you can recall is the pain

Just you wait until tomorrow when you wake up with me
at your side and find I haven't lied about nothin'
I wouldn't trade a tree for the way I feel about you
in the mornin', anyhow I love you

Everyday it gets just a little bit better
And half the gettin' there is knowin' where I been before
I'm sure you understand 'cause I ain't your first man
so when you feel like runnin' for the back door...don't ....

I Keep On Lovin' You, Reba McEntire
Keep on Loving You CD
Excerpt from song:

Love takes the patience of Job
That's what my Mama always said
Faith is the belief in something more than what you know
That's what the Good Book says
You gotta play the cards you got
Who knows what fate is holding
At times you gotta go without knowing where you're going

That's why I keep on lovin' you
I keep on lovin' you
Through the baby don't leave mes
And never will agains
And I promise tos
I keep on lovin' you


Still the one, Shania Twain is available on different CDs, there's a live version.
Excerpt from Song:

...They said, I bet they'll never make it.
But just look at us holding on
We're still together still going strong

(You're still the one)
You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life
(You're still the one)
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss good night

Ain't nothin' better
We beat the odds together
I'm glad we didn't listen
Look at what we would be missin'


You're My Home, Billy Joel
On Joel's classic CD, Songs In The Attic 
Excerpt from song:

...Home can be the Pennsylvania Turnpike
Indiana's early morning dew
High up in the hills of California
Home is just another word for you

Well I never had a place that I could call my very own
That's all right, my love, 'cause you're my home

If I travel all my life
And I never get to stop and settle down
Long as I have you by my side
There's a roof above and good walls all around
You're my castle, you're my cabin and my instant pleasure dome
I need you in my house 'cause you're my home.
You're my home.  


Alan Jackson married his high school sweetheart in 1979
8x10 Photo

Remember When, Alan Jackson,
on Greatest Hits 2
Excerpt from song:

... Remember when we vowed the vows
and walked the walk
Gave our hearts, made the start, it was hard
We lived and learned, life threw curves
There was joy, there was hurt
Remember when

Remember when old ones died and new were born
And life was changed, disassembled, rearranged
We came together, fell apart
And broke each other's hearts
Remember when

Remember when the sound of little feet
was the music
We danced to week to week
Brought back the love, we found trust
Vowed we'd never give it up
Remember when ....


Here is a completely random list of ....
Celebrities who had long-term marriages.
You'll find another similar list on the previous post.

James Cagney
Joan Bennett and George Raft

Harpo Marx
James stewart
George Raft
Alfred and Alma Hitchcock
Roy Rogers and Dale Evans
Rosemary Decamp

Ann Blyth
Frank Thornton
Alfre Woodard

Pete and Toshi Seeger
Ray Milland 
Gene Raymond and Jeannette MacDonald
Alan Jackson
Danny Thomas
Ruth Buzzi
Dolly Parton
Denzel Washington

Leo G. Carroll
Dan Aykroyd and Donna Dixon

Alice Ghostly and Felice Orlandi
Jack Benny and Mary Livingston
Irene Dunne
Fred Allen and Portland Hoffa
Rosalind Russell and Frederick Brisson

Lloyd Nolan
Martin Sheen
Jane Curtin and Patrick Lynch
Juanita Moore
Bob Newhart
Cecil B. DeMille
Ruth Hussey
Ira Gershwin
Carl Reiner
Robert Mitchum



Related Links of Interest:

10 Songs for Second Weddings, Some Successful Second Marriages

15 Great Songs for Marrying your first love, Remarrying a former spouse

Pets in Wedding Ceremonies, Portraits revamp coming soon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thanks for visiting.

Please keep your comments topical & respectful. We can't accept links or be responsible for content of comments.